[WikiEN-l] ABOUT LATITUDE.

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Thu Sep 9 16:53:29 UTC 2004

In Europe, we were taught in school that Australia ''was'' a continent.
Thus:

North America
South America
Europe
Africa
Asia
Australia
Antarctica

So that's 7 continents -- which, incidentally, is the number of Olympic
rings (they represent the 7 continents). Commonly, New Zealand and
sometimes all of the Pacific Ocean islands were seen as being part of
Australia. Then again, as far as the "Pacific islands problem" is
concerned, maybe they don't ''have'' to be grouped with any continent
at all: The word "continent", after all, derives from Latin ''(terra)
continens'', meaning a combined land mass (as opposed to islands). Thus
(some) island can happily be regarded as not being part of any
continent.

It was actually quite a surprise to me to see that there appear to be
different definitions in the U.S. I thought the above was universal and
I had never heard of "Austalasia". Then again, in the end of the day
it's a matter of arbitrary definition isn't it?

Luckily, [[Continent]] already appears to have the gist of this info. :)

As long as we can all contain ourselves there should be continental
consensus.

-- Jens