[WikiEN-l] Survey of why wikipedians edit

John Collison john at collison.ie
Wed Nov 24 20:54:50 UTC 2004

I am conducting a short survey as part of a project on different
methods of building online projects. I mentioned this a while back on
wikipedia-l. I would greatly appreciate it if any wikipedians could
fill in the survey and send it back to me. Sorry to be a hassle.

THE SURVEY:

NOTE: This survey only concerns EN wikipedia, do not factor in any work
on other languages in this.

Q1: How long have you been editing wikipedia?

Q2: How many hours per week do you spend on wikipedia?

Q3: Do you write professionally?

Q4: What is your current employement?

Q5: Why do you work on wikipedia for nothing when you could be paid to
write elsewhere?

Q6: If people were paid to work on Wikipedia, would you stay or would
you devote your time to something else?

Q7: Do you think people should be paid to work on wikipedia?

Q8: Do you think developers should be paid?

Q9: Do you think reward schemes and competitions (like Danny's contest)
on a small scale to get people to write more, better etc. should be
used on wikipedia?

Note: You can answer yes to as many of the following questions as you
like.

Q10: Do you work on wikipedia for the enjoyement of seeing your work
online?

Q11: Do you work on wikipedia for the satisfaction that you have
created something good and it can be used by others?

Q12:Do you work on wikipedia because it you enjoy interacting with
others?

Q13: Do you edit wikipedia for any reasons other than the ones
mentioned above also?

Thanks for your time.

John Collison
(Ludraman)