[WikiEN-l] Shrinking and expanding at the same time (was AC with a small quorum and IRC meetings)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 15:22:38 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:

> Rebecca wrote:
>
>> I think is an excellent idea: kudos to you both.
>>
>> The two things that I'd been keen to know first, however, are - would
>> this involve a reduction in the number of arbitrators, as in Michael's
>> proposal,
>
> No. The number of arbitrators could well be increased. Michael wanted
> to reduce the number of arbitrators to reduce the number of people
> required for a decision, our proposal is to reduce that number more
> directly, while retaining a low workload on each arbitrator and
> keeping a wide variety of views on the committee.

There remains a problem, which is that if you take more arbitrators and
divide them into smaller panels, but have panel decisions subject to
review by the full committee, then the full committee will be too large
to work effectively as a body. If twelve is too many now, what if we
have thirty?

I think there are good ideas in all of the proposals that have been
advanced, and we can put something workable together. I would suggest
that the current Arbitration Committee continue in existence, but shrink
to nine members, and primarily handle reviews of decisions by
three-person panels. The panels would be drawn from a larger pool with
no fixed number of positions. This pool we might call magistrates.

A panel would consist of three people as proposed - any combination of
magistrates and arbitrators could form the panel. The panel would have
the same authority as the Arbitration Committee has now. It could place
users on revert parole or personal attack parole, issue standing orders,
and also impose bans.

Panels can be formed on an ad hoc basis and deliberate wherever
appropriate and convenient for the magistrates. We can have a page for
submitting cases and another where the magistrates document rulings, so
the admins know which users are under some type of ban or probation.

This would allow smaller panels to reach relatively quick decisions. It
would allow magistrates to self-select their workload to some extent,
and those that can't or don't want to constantly be involved don't have
to be. Meanwhile, the Arbitration Committee would remain a more
deliberate process, although I also agree with elian's suggestion that
arbitration could use more explicit deadlines. Something like one or two
weeks for participants to present their evidence, then an additional
week or two for deliberations, with some flexibility according to the
nature of the case.

There remains the question of how to choose a substantial pool of
magistrates. Should we work this in as part of the arbitration election,
and if so, will we get enough people? Should we have Jimbo or the Board
make appointments, or take volunteers subject to an approval process in
a way similar to adminship? When this kind of idea has been discussed in
the past, it has often been in the context of having _all admins_ be
what I'm calling "magistrates". But I think that approach will get
nowhere because too many people are uncomfortable with giving certain
existing admins that kind of power.

--Michael Snow