[WikiEN-l] AC with a small quorum and IRC meetings

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Nov 9 15:53:54 UTC 2004

Tim Starling wrote:

> The first and most important measure to improve the speed of the AC is
> to reduce the necessary quorum to three members. Decisions are made by a
> simple majority. Any member of the arbitration committee may request a
> review of such decisions by the full committee.
>
> The second is that deliberation should be conducted by IRC, not email.
> Cases will still be accepted on the wiki, and findings will still be
> announced on the wiki. But deliberations will be performed by any and
> all AC members present in #arbcom.wikipedia, as long as there is more
> than three of them.

I agree that the first is a useful change, since getting the full
committee together in a timely manner with peoples' schedules seems like
it will remain nearly impossible no matter what combination of people
are on it.  I'm not sure the second one is necessary though: The primary
problem right now is that there are few arbitrators with lots of free
time, and few non-arbitrators with lots of free time who have expressed
an interest in becoming arbitrators.  If we had at least a few
arbitrators with a lot of free time, I'm not sure email would be
insufficient, and if we don't have arbitrators with free time, nobody
will use IRC any more than they use email.

-Mark