[WikiEN-l] Re: AC with a small quorum and IRC meetings

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Nov 9 14:59:50 UTC 2004

Rebecca wrote:
> I think is an excellent idea: kudos to you both.
>
> The two things that I'd been keen to know first, however, are - would
> this involve a reduction in the number of arbitrators, as in Michael's
> proposal,

No. The number of arbitrators could well be increased. Michael wanted to
reduce the number of arbitrators to reduce the number of people required
for a decision, our proposal is to reduce that number more directly,
while retaining a low workload on each arbitrator and keeping a wide
variety of views on the committee.

> and also - how many of the current group of arbitrators are
> active on IRC? I know James is (provided he plans to run for
> re-election - I hope so) and also Mav, but I'm a bit concerned that
> some people who've played a fairly crucial role this far - Fred
> Bauder, for one, may not use IRC.

Not all of them use IRC. We can provide technical support to help
arbitrators install a client on their computer. We could also set up a
CGI:IRC gateway, or make a proxy available, if it proves to be
necessary. The idea of setting up a CGI:IRC gateway for all the
Wikipedia channels has been suggested before, we could probably just do
that, if we have the hardware resources.

-- Tim Starling