[WikiEN-l] The Role of Wikipedia is to promote understanding

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Fri May 28 02:18:44 UTC 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 8:59 AM, Poor, Edmund W wrote:

> This will gradually change, as public awareness increases. Imagine
> Wikipedia as a top 100 website (it's already flirting with the top-500
> boundary, you know). Forget the slashdot effect; think about Wikipedia
> as a rival to Google!

Indeed, I have come to depend on the Wikipedia as a reader.  Looking
things up in the 'Pedia was become a reflex, as Googling has been
for me for a while.  I actually have an impulse to look things up
when I'm not at my computer.  I've started making lists of things
to look up later.  I find that I can soak up knowledge like a sponge
in wiki format.  It's kind of like in the Matrix, the way Trinity
learns to fly the helicopter, or Neo does his combat training.  If I
don't know something I need to know, I just type it in the box, hit
"Go", read a little and...I know kung fu.

One of these days I'll outfit my Newton with a WiFi card so I can
take the Wikipedia with me wherever I go.  And while I'm dreaming,
I'd like a pony...

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org