[WikiEN-l] Re: [[Anti-French sentiment in the United States]]

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 01:30:24 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

>The latest news here in Colorado is that our governor, Bill Owens, at some convention in Illinois told a few anti-French jokes, including one that went:
>
>"Why does the new French navy have glass-bottomed boats?
>
>So they can see the old French navy!"

You would think that the anti-French crowd could at least come up with
something more original than to recycle old sawhorses and scarecrows
that have been applied, at some point or another, to just about every
national/religious/ethnic group that some other
national/religious/ethnic group dislikes. I've seen that joke far more
often involving a different country, which I will not name here out of
respect. I guess it just goes to show the poverty of thought that
accompanies prejudice.

--Michael Snow