[WikiEN-l] Re: w to properly use articles from an outside GFDL source?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 19:09:34 UTC 2004

--- Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
> >The GNU FDL is a complicated mess. The sooner we can be free of it, the
> better.
> >IMO.
> >
> It's basically impossible to change the license at this point; since
> all writers still own the copyrights to their material, every single
> one of them would have to be contacted and agree to the change of
> license.

Each of them agreed to license their work either under the GNU FDL 1.1 "or any
later version" or the GNU FDL 1.2 "or any later version." If the GNU FDL 2.0
allows transfer to another free content license (such as the FCL I proposed),
then that is fine.

Free content is supposed to be freely used - it is absurd that it cannot be
transfered from one free content license to another. Those licenses that are
very similar, such as the CC by-sa and the GNU FDL (when no invariant sections
are used) should be made compatible with each other. The Free Content License
would act as a simplified FDL and compatibility layer (the FSF has already
stated that invariant sections are going to stay part of the FDL, so that is a
non-starter).

Our only out is a change in the license and the only people who can do that are
in the Free Software Foundation.

-- mav