[WikiEN-l] Re: [[Anti-French sentiment in the United States]]

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 06:54:29 UTC 2004

I had very few edit wars on Wikipedia in more than 2 years.
Basically, I went in edit war over the Gaia articles with RK, and with a
Fat Buddha on this one :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-French_sentiment_in_the_United_States

I decided not to touch it again, because I thought it was a hopeless
article. I mentionned how bad it was on this very list, more than a year
ago, and other french people asked with me, that some people work on it,
to straighten it a bit. But as Eclecticology would say, it is not to
french people to edit it, since it is about the way American people see us.

 From time to time, I go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Americanism

And I wonder why the one about anti-americanism is such a bland article,
when the one about us is crap. I invite neutral editors to compare both
articles.

I see that article, as a perfect example of what Wikipedia should *not* be.
And after more than a year it being crap, I have doubts in the process.

The first paragraph is particularly impressive. It is a collection of
opinions, none of which are attributed. It does not explain anything. It
is a set of "some people think", "it is said that", "one could also say
that". This article is not really informative. It does not explain the
origin of these feelings. I hardly dare mention the title of this
paragraph. It does not quantify disapproval either. In short, it fails
its goal which is to describe and give information to understand why
there is such a feeling.

However, there is one thing this article is very good at. It is the
perfect article to raise anger, or even *hate* from French people. While
I do not think that American would feel angered by the article on
anti-americanism as it is right now. And I do not think Wikipedia should
aim at raising "hate" feelings.