[WikiEN-l] Re: w to properly use articles from an outside GFDL source?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Mon May 24 00:23:33 UTC 2004

David Gerard wrote:

>I want to do some Wikipedia articles based on Disinfopedia articles.
>They're GFDL. But what is the proper way to carry over authorship
>information? Cut'n'paste the Disinfopedia page history (they use
>MediaWiki too) to the Talk page? Acknowledgement link at the bottom
>of the page, as we use for FOLDOC or Jargon File-based articles?

When  I use material from the Wikipedia in the Disinfopedia, I put in
a line of attribution at the bottom of the article. For example,
Disinfopedia's [[Richard A. Clarke]] article includes the following
line at the bottom, with links back to Wikipedia article:

>Note: A version of this article also appears in the Wikipedia.

If you want to do something similar when moving Disinfopedia material
into the Wikipedia, it would be appreciated but isn't obligatory.
It's not like we're in a position to sue over it.

--Sheldon Rampton