[WikiEN-l] [[Anti-French sentiment in the United States]]

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun May 23 18:25:33 UTC 2004

>  The US perception towards France
> is important both culturally (the perception of French as snooty and
> aristocratic, and Parisians as promiscuous), and, in the 20th century,
> politically.
>
> Of course, the article could almost certainly be improved.
>
> -Mark

Well, the apparent American inability to utter the phrase 'French
restaurant' without the prefix 'fancy' tells me something (about Americans);
as does my own compatriots' fixed prejudice that French food is about
'sauces' (seems to come from ordering 'steack poivre' in Calais and being
surprised by what arrives).  I wouldn't regard the latter as particularly
encyclopedic, though.

Charles