[WikiEN-l] Questia link

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Thu May 20 02:23:27 UTC 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 4:32 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> Jimmy-
>> Questia has offered to pay us $12 per signup through that link, but we
>> would have to change the link to a tracking url.
>
> I strongly oppose that. The reason is that this is a *link directory*.
> People expect these links to point to the website without going through
> some referrer system. We are first and foremost an encyclopedia, and
> encyclopedia content should *never* be tainted by any kind of
> sponsorship
> agreements.

What about a second, clearly marked link, to allow people to support
Wikipedia consciously?  We currently do this for Amazon.com on the
Special:Booksources page.  I don't know if this would count
according to the offer.

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org