[WikiEN-l] Re: help me

phil hunt zen19725 at zen.co.uk
Wed May 19 21:42:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:43:44 +0000, Eric B. Rakim <eric_b_and_rakim at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Dear mailing list readers,
>
>I don't know if this is the proper place to turn for
>help. If it isn't, then please tell me because the matter is
>urgent. Wikipedia is a fine resource and contains very much
>useful information. Reading Wikipedia is fun, and every day
>since I discovered it I've learnt a thing or two by reading
>it. But its coverage about programming and computer software
>is a little thin I think. Well, I'm quite knowledgeable when
>it comes to computer related topics and I love to write. So,
>therefore I took it upon me to fix this defiancy.
>
>Big mistake it seems, some people didn't like that at all.
>
>Especially not a user by the name RickK, who a few minutes
>after I had written an initial version of "XFree86 logfile"
>added it to a page "Votes for Deletion" on which he is
>currently holding a vote whether that page should be destroyed
>or not. Naturally, I protested strongly, because I couldn't
>and still cannot understand why he wants to delete that
>page. He didn't try to communicate with me and just wrote
>"Huh?" and then when I asked him why he thought that that
>page should be deleted he answered "It isn't discussing
>anything encyclopedic. I THINK it describes a file format,
>but I'm not really sure."
>
>>From that it became obvious to me that he hadn't even read
>the article because it should be pretty damn obvious to
>anyone that an article titled "XFree86 logfile" is about the
>XFree86 logfile. And that I told him that, whereafter he
>listed all other six articles I had written:
>
>glDrawElements, glVertexPointer, glDrawArrays, glEnable,
>GL_QUADS, fbdevhw
>
>And wrote: "I'll ask again. Do we really want articles on
>subroutines?" Which is really funny since only the four
>first documents subroutines.

May I suggest that some of this sort of information might be better
located on the Belios OpenFacts Wiki, which is a "free knowledge
database about open source software", to quote its front page. You
can find it at:

   http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Main_Page

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)