[WikiEN-l] help me

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Wed May 19 11:56:14 UTC 2004

You are definitely in the right place, althought there are other right
places such as the Villge Pump.

On the surface (I am no programmer, but many who read this list are) your
arguement is persuasive, but so is the arguement of your opponents who take
the position that the level of detail you are going into is inappropriate
for an ecyclopedia.

However in many other areas, even more detailed expositions are present and
planned for encyclopedia, generally, no town is so small, no King so
obscure, and especially, no bird so extinct that it does not deserve an
article.

We have a policy, "Don't bite the newbies", but, it is not necessarily
followed in spirit. In fact, in your case, the excellence of your article
and its very sophistication perhaps works against the policy, as the
reaction is more to the imposition of that sophistication rather than to the
cluelessness of a newbie.

The suggestion that the article, and others like it, ought to be moved to
Wikibooks is one you might take seriously. I see the debate on VfD (Votes
for Deletion) as pretty typical and at this point about evenly divided.
Which means your article at worst might end up in Wikibooks. This is often
the fate of howto material.

The piling on engaged in by Beelzebubs and DavidWBrooks is, of course,
inexcusable. I have restored your stub (perhaps it was deleted more due to
its stub nature than its content) and suggest you finish working on it, if
you have any time and energy with all your other articles up for deletion.

This imperious comment:

> "But I'd recommend you leave listing them to users with good
> contribution records, and the same with discussing this
> one. AFAIK all the many articles you have written so far
> have been listed for deletion and will be deleted as
> unencyclopedic. IMO you aren't entitled to vote on
> VfD. Sorry." Andrewa....

constitutes a serious and sustained newbie mauling. I suppose the idea is
that you should edit a few hundred articles about small towns in America
before you jump into the serious stuff.

I hope this helps. A few serious and valuable contributors have been put
off, and, eventually driven away, (usually by butting heads with our
amateurish qualities) but I hope you are not one of them and will continue
to participate in our "Newbie training and socialization process". Made that
quote up, but I hope you get the idea.

As far as getting any apologies, considering the damage you have done to the
reputation of your tormentors, doubt you can expect any.

You might make your user page [[User:Eric B. and Rakim]] a bit more serious.
Perhaps a slight part of your difficulty is due to your joking around there.

Fred