[WikiEN-l] Wik - "unproked absuive comments"

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Mon May 17 22:48:47 UTC 2004

Ed Poor began:

> If Wik is really making unprovoked abusive comments, ...

Wik really isn't making unprovoked abusive comments. Wik *has* said some rude
things on occasion. On a more systematic basis, his editing style has been
characterised as being rude.

Equally, people have said rude, even provocative, things about Wik, on occasion. For
example, earlier on this list, Jacob Roberson described Wik as, in part, a "troll, vandal,
edit warrior, and pov warrior...".

> perhaps we should do a bit more to rein him in.

Such as, say, discussing the issue with Wik, and thus persuading him to remove some
comments from his user page that a variety of people felt were inappropriate. Oh wait,
people did that. And it worked...

> We have been struggling to establish a process for this.

I thought we had one. According to [[wikipedia:no personal attacks]], "Many Wikipedians
remove personal attacks on sight. In extreme cases, users have been banned for
repeatedly engaging in personal attacks".

Perhaps this policy should be changed, if you don't like its results?

-Martin