[WikiEN-l] Descriptive/proscriptive

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Sat May 15 21:44:27 UTC 2004

On May 15, 2004, at 8:38 AM, Daniel P.B.Smith wrote:

> It's a question of degree. You, for example, acknowledge the
> legitimacy of including "some famous ones." I'd be interested in
> knowing which ones you feel qualify.

My position is that:

1) a recipe can be used explicitly to illustrate a food if most
    recipes are similar to it, or

2) a recipe can be included when it is *the* recipe (this only
    applies, of course, to a recipe worthy of note).

Some have said that the condition for #2 is inherently POV.  I agree,
but would cite any decision on what is Wikipedia-worthy (as in the
old original-research debate) as precedent.

On May 15, 2004, at 12:30 PM, Stan Shebs wrote:

> Auntie B's recipe is not encyclopedic for the same reason that
> Auntie B herself isn't, there's just not much to say, but it would
> make a fine "illustration" for the chocolate cake article:
>
>    '''Chocolate cake''' is [[cake]] containing [[chocolate]]. First
>    mentioned in a Dutch cookbook of 1675, [etc].
>
>    The following recipe is from Fannie Farmer ca 1921:
>
>    <recipe1>
>
>    A more modern recipe:
>
>    <recipe2>

This I would agree with, provided the recipes were truly
representative.  This is a judgment call.

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org