[WikiEN-l] Re: Historian: origin of apparent "policy" re recipes and how-tos?

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Sat May 15 04:15:32 UTC 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 1:34 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Your distortion of NPOV as an excuse for getting rid of something you
> don't like in Wikipedia boggles the imagination!  Deletion is also an
> expression of POV, as been pointed out in the discussion about
> offensive images.  And what could be so offensive about the recipes?

I should be clearer: not including any chocolate cake recipe
(because there's more than one) does not express a POV, except
a POV on what should be in an encyclopedia.  But that's a meta-
POV and not what I meant.  Is that what you meant.

> I have no objection to documenting ALL the ways to put in a light
> bulb. (There are more than one ways.)  Just because the first person
> to post on the subject has only presented one way of doing something
> does not in itself make that contribution POV.  If it is the only POV
> it is necessarily neutral.  If there are other POVs, the solution
> begins with others presenting them, not with censoring the one that's
> already there.

Unless it's unfeasible to include every POV, such as every chocolate
cake recipe, which I think it is, in an encyclopedia.  A
wiki(cook)book, on the other hand, would do nicely.

> I'm sorry, but I have a hard time suffering fools gladly.

I wouldn't have it any other way, Ec.  :)

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org