[WikiEN-l] Re: Historian: origin of apparent "policy" re recipes and how-tos?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri May 14 09:29:44 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> I have no objection to documenting ALL the ways to put in a light
> bulb. (There are more than one ways.)  Just because the first person
> to post on the subject has only presented one way of doing something
> does not in itself make that contribution POV.  If it is the only POV
> it is necessarily neutral.  If there are other POVs, the solution
> begins with others presenting them, not with censoring the one that's
> already there.

I see this as more a place for a Wikibook recipes book.  An article that
consists of 15 pages listing all the variations on chocolate cake is
ridiculous for an encyclopedia.  An encyclopedia isn't the place to get
detailed how-to instructions, but to get conceptual information.  This
is why the article on, say [[C programming language]] describes the
language, rather than being an intro to programming in C tutorial---if
you want a detailed intro to C, that's what an "intro to programming in
C" wikibook would be for.

I don't even see why this is an argument---it's so completely ridiculous
to have recipes in an encyclopedia, barring some famous ones, that I'm
baffled people are actually seriously defending the idea.

-Mark