[WikiEN-l] On rights, NPOV and photos

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu May 13 21:45:00 UTC 2004

Pedro-
> b) By adopting the "all articles must be treated the same way" we are
> assuming content is less important than NPOV. This might be true for
> things but if this is true for persons, I think the project is biased
> towards "people have no rights and this project has rights over all
> people".

Actually
1) I am the one who blurred the prisoner photos on the Abu Ghraib article
in order to protect their identity, after that problem was pointed out
2) I have, from the start, voted against showing Nick Berg's severed head
and find that picture in very bad taste, especially as the case is still
very much in the news
3) I have suggested a temporarily reduced threshold of hiding offensive
photos until we have better technological solutions to let end users make
these decisions

So I find your insinuation that this is somehow an attempt by me to
campaign for the inclusion of photos that neither I nor you want quite
unfair. I am concerned with dealing with this issue in a fair and neutral
manner, but I am always open to pragmatic and humanistic arguments.

For example, I could imagine that a compromise could be reached with the 8
users who insist on showing the Nick Berg photo inline to wait with any
such move for 1 year, to let the issue cool down, and to only include the
photo when user-side filtering technology is in place.

Regards,

Erik