[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu May 13 13:53:06 UTC 2004

Rich Holton wrote:

> If we approach it the other way, and do not mask the
> images, the penalty for those who are offended is that
> certain articles will become *unavailable* to them,
> unless they view what they find offensive.

This makes me long back to good old Opera 6, where you could just press
"G" and all images disappear and you can read the text without any
irritating blinking ads, or offensive pornography.

Why can't every browser simply have such a useful feature? :)

Inspired by that, I might suggest the following two features. We could
have (1) a "?disableimages=1" option that would display an article with
all the images removed, and (2) a wiki syntax to link to it. Then, when
people voice objection to the graphical content of a page, we could add
{{msg:offensiveimages}} at the top, which would add something like

     :'''''Notice:''' Some people have voiced objection to the images
     on this page. [[[disableimages]|View this page without images]]''

Timwi