[WikiEN-l] offensive images policy

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 06:53:54 UTC 2004

Image is offensive to me, should be shown inline : 3

Image is not offensive to me, should be shown inline : 4
	(with one person who probably did not understand the question well)

That makes : 7/44 (perhaps 6/44)

-------
Image is offensive to me, should be linked to or removed : 14

Image is not offensive to me, should be linked to or removed : 16

Haven't looked at image, should be linked to or removed : 7

That makes : 37/44 (perhaps 38/44), hence 84 %

-------

It is interesting to note that 7 people voluntarily did NOT want to look
at it. We can suppose that these people would *really* prefer to have
the choice to click on the picture, than being forced to see it.

I would like to note as well, that afaik, currently, when an image is
listed on votes for deletion, I think the % required for removal is 80%
(or something like this ?)

If some people find a picture offensive, and want it not to be displayed
online, they will have two possibilities
* campaigning for plain deletion (80%)
* campaigning for inline linking (???)

Obviously, ??? can not be a % over 80%. If a number of 95% is required
to label a picture "offensive", that means

*first that people will rather try to have it plain deleted (not exactly
the best way to achieve a consensus, and truely potential censorship)
*second that the decision will be taken in truth by 6% of people (the
tyranny of the minority)

This seems a very strange way to manage decisions than to have 6% of
people impose their opinion, and second to favor extrem solutions over a
more consensual one.

I would think that as soon as there is a question over a picture, we
roughly decide that more than 80% for removal lead the picture to be
removed.
If less than 80% but more than 50% have a problem with the picture being
displayed online, then the image is
* kept in the db
* not directly visible in the article
* visible through a link, either in a gallery or the image page itself
* that a warning message is displayed in the article (general mediawiki
message for example)
* that the link to the image is made "proeminent", so as not to be
missed by those interested (bold for example)

--------

Future :

Additionnaly, I think we could go forward setting a couple of categories
of potentially offensive pictures, such as
* sex
* violence
* nudity
* ...

When the category system is on, a picture labelled offensive (so,
between 50% and 80% of opinion) could belong to one of these categories.
People might choose to display one or several of these categories or not
in their prefs.

If the filter is OFF for a category : the image is displayed online
If the filter is ON for a category : the image is available through a link