[WikiEN-l] Image hiding mock-up

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu May 13 01:18:00 UTC 2004

I've created a mock-up of an image hiding feature which should solve the
problem of pictures which are offensive to some, but not to others:

http://scireview.de/wikipedia/ihide/

It's the Nick Berg page (for the purposes of this demo, the normal image
rather than the gory one is shown here).

There could be a special tag like

<imagecontent>
This page includes an explicit photograph of a clitoris.
</imagecontent>

The software would automatically add the "hide images" link. Obviously the
threshold for adding such a warning would be much lower than the threshold
for not showing an image for reasons of offensiveness, e.g. 50%-60%
instead of 95-100%.

I've deliberately avoided words like "warning" for reasons of NPOV. Now,
before you suggest that we switch to a full-fledged rating system, this
proposal can be implemented fairly quickly, while a rating system cannot.

Regards,

Erik