[WikiEN-l] Offensive photos policy

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 12 22:22:32 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:
> Jimmy-
> > With photos, the "show" versus "don't show" really is an "either/or",
> > though.  The only possible compromise, and one which I think will
> > almost always work just fine, is to *link* to the picture, with
> > suitable warnings, and leave it at that.
>
> If we make this official policy, we abandon NPOV for photos, for the
> reasons I have cited. Please refute my arguments or state clearly that you
> do want to abandon NPOV for photos.

One more thing that I wanted to add is that I do not in any way agree
with the view that "majority vote" is a proper means for making
decisions about this sort of thing.  On that point, Erik and I agree
completely -- I'm actually not sure where he thinks we disagree.

I think that in almost all cases, the compromise that's possible
between the "show" and "don't show" parties to a dispute is to put the
image behind a link with suitable warnings.  That doesn't censor it,
it's available, but it's also not "in your face" for people who choose
not to click.

I don't think this rule leads to any strange consequences for ordinary
images.

--Jimbo