Severed head (wasRe: [WikiEN-l] Offensive photos policy)

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed May 12 22:07:03 UTC 2004

Mark Richards wrote:
> I am unconvinced that a photo of this nature adds
> anything to the article, or will remain that
> newsworthy. The incident is tragic, and documenting it
> is important, but a graphic picture of a severed head?
> Why?

I think this is a legitimate question, and I'm inclined to agree with
you.  But I don't think we could get a consensus to simply delete it,
I *know* we won't get a consensus to show it up front on the page, but
I *do* think we can get a consensus to have it behind a link.

It's a compromise.  There are legitimate (but perhaps mistaken)
arguments for showing it right up front.  There are legitimate (but
perhaps mistaken) arguments for deleting it.  The middle ground is
likely to be more satisfactory to all sides than either of the
endpoints.

If I were writing my own encyclopedia article on my own website, I
would not include the picture.  I think it's in poor taste.  But at
Wikipedia, I'm committed to the principle of seeking consensus, and I
think "behind a link" has the best chance at consensus.

--Jimbo