[WikiEN-l] Offensive photos policy

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed May 12 21:18:31 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>>With photos, the "show" versus "don't show" really is an "either/or",
>>though.  The only possible compromise, and one which I think will
>>almost always work just fine, is to *link* to the picture, with
>>suitable warnings, and leave it at that.
>>

>If we make this official policy, we abandon NPOV for photos, for the
>reasons I have cited. Please refute my arguments or state clearly that you
>do want to abandon NPOV for photos.

I disagree, and think you wish to abandon NPOV for photos.

You wish to adopt the principle that we should err on the side of
showing photos, based on your personal point of view that people should
not find things offensive that you do not find offensive.  When there is
disagreement, we should side with the "not offensive" camp.

For what it's worth, I think the majority of articles you have worked on
on Wikipedia are similarly flawed, as your idea of NPOV, couched in
rather pretentious language, is to promote your political ideology.
This can be seen on things like [[Roman Catholicism]], which turn into
long rants about birth control, with disingenuous edit summaries about
"NPOV" (I don't like the Roman Catholic Church either, but that article
is ridiculous).

-Mark