[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 11:11:38 UTC 2004

Delirium a écrit:
> Anthere wrote:
>
>> I expect that female genitals have the same right of display than male
>> genitals.
>>
>> Either hidden, or visible.
>>
>> But that equal standards are respected between women and men.
>

> I personally agree they're approximately equal, and think both should be
> a link.  But I don't see how we can make that pronouncement.  If the
> majority of the world happens to be more offended by one than the other
> (which seems to be the case), we're not really moral arbiters that are
> here to say they're wrong.  Principles such as "the offensiveness of
> female and male genitalia should be equal" might make for an interesting
> discussion for a philosophy of media class, or a journal of feminist
> theory, but I don't think we should really be in the business of putting
> forth new standards for what people should find offensive and what they
> shouldn't find offensive.  If it's easy to keep them consistent then
> fine, but if people find one much more offensive than the other, then
> that's a matter to debate using some other tool than Wikipedia.
>
> -Mark

So, are you saying that we should mask female genitalia because the
world is generally offended by watching it, while we should display male
genitalia because the world is generally not offended by watching it ?

Are you also gonna remove pictures of women who show their hair because
in most of the world women hide their hair ?

And how exactly do you measure the level of offensiveness of female
genitalia in the world compare to level of offensiveness of these
humiliation pictures in the prison article ?

Mind you, I think most of the world think these are VERY offensive, so
by your standards, they should be immediately put into a separate page.