[WikiEN-l] Re: Troubled

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 09:54:29 UTC 2004

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 05:06:20 +0200
From: Nikola Smolenski
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.
To: English Wikipedia

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 18:25, Mark Richards wrote:
> I wonder whether you could have a sub-page with
> exactly the same text but with the pictures, so that
> you would have a link at the top to 'switch on the
> pictures'. It would be kind of tricky to maintain I
> suppose.

Not at all: text could be in the MediaWiki namespace (articles should then
probably contain a comment telling newbies how to edit the text).

------------
Regarding the article about the prison, and its pictures of torture practices, humiliation of human beings and dead bodies, I think everyone agree that these are important and should be in the encyclopedia.
The following propositions have been made

* keep all pictures in the article (ie, considering information should prime over feelings)
    --> I think this does not take into consideration the opinion of those feeling these pictures are offending.

* have two articles, one with pictures, one without
    --> Interesting, but perhaps unpractical from an editing point of view (doable with mediawiki, but without neat display of pictures within the article)

* have offending pictures visible only per a link, individually
    --> Already practiced for other offending pictures. Good choice, but perhaps unpractical for the reader, as there are several pictures, and the reader has to click on each picture one after the other

* keep perhaps one picture in the article (least offensive), and offer a gallery of pictures (with a warning for readers aside from the link)
    -> I think this is a good idea. Many newspapers do that. I remember Le Monde did that a lot for all the covering of the war. Plus, it offers the benefit to lighten the weight of the article page.