Sex and violence (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 11 17:46:58 UTC 2004

Mark Richards wrote:

>I am baffled as to why a clitoris would be considered
>comparable in any way to torture. I guess I am baffled
>as to why 'sex and violence' so frequently appear in
>the same sentence.

To paraphrase that great American philosopher, George Carlin, "It's OK
to fuck your enemy; just don't fuck your lover."  It's a question of
morality.  On American TV they may be showing the torture pictures from
the Sadaamite jail, but any suggestion on these pictures that the
prisoners might have genitals needs to be blurred to avoid offending the
morals of decent religious folks.  The administration strongly objected
to pictures of returning dead American soldiers.  These weren't pictures
of mutilated bodies - just rows of flag-draped coffins.  For many, the
video game world has to be real; without that some would be left with
the unpatriotic illusion that when you pull on the trigger real people
are being killed.

Perhaps the painted nails on the fingers that spread the labia to show
the clitoris were a detraction from the purpose of that article, but so
too would be an excess of pictures to illustrate the tortures at Abu
Ghraib, as was the excess of pictures about Rachel Corrie.  But we can't
ignore any of these images altogether.

Ec