[WikiEN-l] Disciplinary process (was: I just blocked someone for 9999 hours)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue May 11 11:57:28 UTC 2004

Theresa,

Thanks for outlining your "disciplinary process". It's completely in
line with what I have been proposing and/or doing for the two years I
have acted as a steward of Wikipedia.

> But you don't need to be so harsh either. This is just some kid
mucking about.
> We deal with this kind of thing all the time. (well I do anyway) I go
through a procedure

> 1)       Talk page. You must warn them on their talk page first. It's
only polite.
> Tell him he can't take down wikipedia, so give up. Invite him to
contribute properly.
> 2)       Talk page again. Stern warning this time
> 3)       delete nonsense articles and protect real ones as necessary,
explain what
> you are doing
> 4)       Block for 24 hours
> 5)       Block for longer if necessary
>
> I rarely get to stage 5

The idea is to begin by assuming good faith. Explain, request, remind.

If that doesn't work, start turning on the heat. Warn, temp block, ban.

It's amazing how many variations of this principle have appeared over
the nearly 3 years Wikipedia has been in operation.

Ed Poor, aka Uncle ED