[WikiEN-l] Re: troubled.

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue May 11 01:20:37 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:
> ...there is such a strong history of people lying about torture that
> we would not want to part of suppression of evidence.

While I strongly support the importance of our having the pictures on
the site in some form, I just wanted to say that this particular
argument didn't seem persuasive to me.  The chances of evidence being
suppressed here are close to zero, these pictures have been broadcast
worldwide in all sorts of media.

I do agree completely that the photos have high information value, of
course.

Just to make my position clear:

1.  I agree with Anthere that it is problematic for the photos to be
right there in the article, as they are quite disturbing.

2.  I think that they absolutely have to be accessible with ease,
beause they are highly informative.

3.  I'm not making any sort of proclamation about this.  If we have to
do so, we should have a vote or poll of some sort, and go with that.
Hopefully that won't be necessary, since perhaps some compromise could
be reached in which we directly show some of the photos, and put some
of the others behind a single-click with warning.

--Jimbo