[WikiEN-l] New York City

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon May 10 03:17:10 UTC 2004

Rick wrote:

> a violation of the meaning of consensus.

Where there is no consensus, I don't see preferring the older version to
be a good tie-breaker.  Essentially, there is no decision on which name
should be used, and which it happened to have been at first is somewhat
arbitrary and irrelevant (lots of things are initially put at an
inappropriate location).  What this basically means is that we need more
discussion, a better set of options, and another, better-advertised
(perhaps on the village pump?), vote to produce a more clear decision.
Until then the name is in limbo and there's no decision.

For what it's worth, I think [[New York City]] is the best option, as
it's the one most people recognize it under.   The official city name is
[[City of New York]], and both that and [[City of New York, New York]]
are rather awkward-looking, and neither is a name anyone actually uses.
[[New York, New York]] and [[New York City]] are both unofficial city
names with much wider usage, and of the two the latter has significantly
more usage from what I can tell, especially internationally where
appending state names to US cities isn't done quite as frequently as it
is in the US.

-Mark