[WikiEN-l] Selling books to increase funding

Bod NotBod bodnotbod at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 18:49:37 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Not sure if this is the place to do this, but it's something I'd like Jim
Wales opinion on - and it may provide a bit of respite from the rather fiery
stuff about trolls and (shudder) death threats.

I submitted a similar proposal to the Village Pump page, but I didn't get
the impression it would meet the right eyes.

Basically I wanted to present an idea for increasing Wikipedia's funding by
encouraging people to place more book references at the end of articles.

I understand that there was a controversy about Amazon in the past, but
according to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Book_sources

...Wikipedia earns a commission on people who purchase through...

http://www.priceowl.com/?site=wikipedia

So, it occurred to me that if publicity is given to this it may increase
revenue.

This could be done by mentioning it in the style guides and maybe having at
is a category within the 'Pages needing attention', ie 'Pages Needing Book