[WikiEN-l] Consumerium

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri May 7 22:16:59 UTC 2004

Caroline Ford wrote:
> Do you all really believe that WP is dominated by the left? All I ever
> seem to see is US rightists and nationalists. If Wikipedia was dominated
> by the left it would be a much more pleasant place to edit.

I do not believe that Wikipedia is dominated by anyone, right or left.

I think you will agree, Caroline, that it would be extremely
unfortunate if any large organization or group, left or right,
religious or anti-religious, etc., decided to target Wikipedia with a
deliberate agenda of changing it into propaganda.

So far we haven't seen that, and frankly I suspect that for any such
movement to succeed would be nearly impossible, because we have such a
large and diverse userbase mutually committed to fairness.

It's interesting that you think that leftists are "more pleasant" --
this has not been my experience.  My experience is that ideologues of
any kind are too often very tiresome to be around for very long.

--Jimbo