[WikiEN-l] Paul Vogel banned for a year

Delirium delirium at hackish.res.cmu.edu
Fri May 7 10:40:43 UTC 2004

The proceedings are still technically open I believe, but there's
majority votes on enough issues---particularly the issue of
banning---for something to be implemented.  The findings of fact were a
bit more controversial, so basically everyone agrees Paul Vogel needs to
be banned, but we don't completely agree on why.  But given that we
agree on the action part, sitting on our hands arguing about the
legalistic justifications doesn't seem all that useful.

The gory details are all on [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Paul
Vogel]] (where they've been for a while, actually), including links to
examples and evidence and whatnot.  The summary version follows.

All votes reported as (Yes-No-Abstain).  There are 10 arbitrators, so 6
'yes' votes are needed to pass any issue.

Findings of fact
---
Passed (7-0-0): Paul Vogel has engaged in a few instances of vandalism.
Examples include: [...]. ... The arbitration committee notes that many
accusations of "vandalism" levelled against Paul Vogel would more
accurately be described as "NPOV violations".

Passed (6-0-0): [Read the page for the text... Summary is that the
committee found Paul Vogel's counter-accusations to be unpersuasive, and
generally found rather the opposite was true for most of them.]

Almost but not yet passed (5-0-1): Paul Vogel has engaged in a number of
personal attacks in violation of the widely accepted no personal attacks
policy. ... The arbitration committee notes a handful of personal
attacks made against Paul Vogel. ... However, the committee was unable
to uncover any evidence (and none was provided) supporting the
accusations of slander or repeated attacks alleged by Paul. ...

Nothing decided (2-2-1): [Read the page for the text... Summary is that
there's disagreement over whether he was blocked inappropriately by
individual sysops and therefore whether he should be held liable for
circumventing some of those bans.]

Remedies (both passed 7-0-0)
---
1. Paul Vogel's editing priviledges on Wikipedia are revoked for a
period of one year.

2. Wikipedia contributors are encouraged to edit Wikipedia's talk pages
to deal with personal attacks, excessive repetition, misleading
indentation or signatures, unnecessarily offensive comments, etc,
contributed by Paul Vogel. They should delete them, edit them,
quarantine them on an appropriate user talk: page, or otherwise deal
with them as they judge appropriate.

Comments by me (not the committee)
---
A year is a rather long time for a ban, but I don't think anybody really
sees how Mr. Vogel can become a productive contributor in the forseeable
future, so there was no need to waste everyone's time with a succession
of shorter bans that would be the inevitable result.  If he surprises us
and does indeed have an interest in working more amicably with us, he
can request reinstatement, and either Jimbo or the committee can
reconsider the matter in light of any new evidence.

As far as enforcement goes: In light of the decision, I've blocked
24.45.99.191, his most common IP address.  Even though he's used it
consistently for some weeks, it has 'dyn' in the hostname, so I only
blocked it for a month, lest it turn out to be dynamic.  Reblocking it
for an additional month after that expires is a trivial matter if he
returns anyway.  He's used a number of other addresses, most of them
dynamic IPs, and relatively infrequently (and not in the past few days),
so I have not blocked those.  Since he is now officially banned, any
sysop may feel free to ban any reincarnations that pop up, although I'd
recommend 24-to-48-hour bans unless you're sure it's a static IP of his.

-Mark