[WikiEN-l] Trolls - A novel approach - don't feed them

Fennec Foxen fennec at gmail.com
Thu May 6 00:25:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Mark Richards
<marich712000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that by continuing to ban, block, hold
> hearings about etc, that we are feeding trollish
> behavior.
Is there an alternative besides allowing them to be disruptive at
will? Plaster requests for legal action all over the place? We could
just revert them all without explanation and open ourselves to more
accusations of being a cabal... :)
> The recent banning of one user for
> 'disruptive edits' or something like that in
> particular, while I can understand the sentiment,
> leaves us open to a double standard - I have seen many
> other users exhibit much more disruptive edits.
The failure of other users to be censured, blocked, or have policy
applied to them should directly not affect whether these users should
be censured or blocked. Just because OJ Simpson got away with
something doesn't mean I can use his failure to be imprisioned as a
defense in a court of law.