[WikiEN-l] A not-so-modest proposal on blocking policy

mapellegrini at comcast.net mapellegrini at comcast.net
Wed May 5 21:25:49 UTC 2004

A had a thought and I'd like to get some opinions on it.
There was an issue recently where Cantus had flagarantly violated
the three-revert limit on several articles. But, since quickpolls
are currently out of the question, an admin would have to be
a vigilante to block him.

My thought was - why not give all admins discretionary authority
to temp-ban (for 24 hours) anyone who violates the three revert
rule? It would give the rule some teeth, and it would keep the
quickpolls relatively uncluttered (which was the biggest complaint
- that they were being used frivilously). It wouldn't have to be
applied in all cases, but just one where the admin thinks that the
involved user(s) need a time-out. If someone thinks they
are unfairly banned, they could bring it up on the Request for
review of Admin actions. Quickpolls could be reserved for persistantly
bad behavior.

I'd like some feedback to see what everyone thinks.

--Mark