[WikiEN-l] Wik and a not-quite-proposal for constitutional change

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed May 5 14:01:13 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote

> Where is that support system?  Who supports him?  Can they be
> encouraged to pressure him into better behavior?

I think finger-pointing is not a good idea in this case.  Let's say that he
has apologists, who may very well be acting in perfectly good faith and be
valued community members in their own right.

> I don't see any reason for the process to go on for several *more*
> rounds and for 6 *more* months.  At some point, very soon, he just
> needs to be banned, and that's that.

Not something I'd have any personal problem with - asocial and legalistic
defines what a wiki _is not_; and it is hard to deny that is what Wik is,
whatever else might be said in his defence.

I would find it difficult to take the inevitable triumphalism of some of
those who have been in conflict (as I have) with Wik.  If Wik is to go, let
it be for clearly right reasons, not what anyone thinks of as wrong
opinions.

Has anyone suggested Wik simply be denied watchlist rights?  With the
servers groaning, a watchlist of 10000+ pages is surely greedy for
resources.

Charles