[WikiEN-l] Re: Qualifications for referrals to arbitration.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 17:34:33 UTC 2004

Well...we are in the process of building the thing no  :-) ?

We have to find the best solution...or at least the least bad...

Incidently...just because I think it is relevant to your comment Fred,
168... indicated me he wont come back

An extract

...However, I have to tell you that I'm not returning. Ultimately,
it's not because of Mav or my reputation. It's mostly
just that on the whole I don't see my work (my edits
or my dialogues) leading to lasting contributions in
an even slightly efficient or reliable way. And most
often it's a source of grief instead of fun or
satisfaction. In other words, it doesn't feel like a
worthwhile way to spend my time even though it has
introduced me to nice people like you. I wish the best
for you in and outside the project...

I offer this to you for two reasons

The first is that there is *my* gratification for 6 weeks
correspondance. If I consider it in the negative side, that is a
failure. A failure because we lost a contributor, in great part because
of Lir. And no arbitration was done on this case. And Lir is free to run
wild without being bothered, and to spit on mediation just as she
wishes. And that contributor, for hot headed he was, brought good
contributions.

However, when he quit wikipedia, he was a resentfull and bitter man.
If I did not succeed to bring him back to the project, at least he
leaves with less resentment and less anger. So, I guess I did not
entirely lose my time. He leaves with many regrets, but I think he
leaves a bit in peace.

The second point is this one.
Anyone has a right to leave anytime. But it is never good that people
leave in anger. Because when they leave in anger, they can become a
threat to the project. They can either become vandals and attack the
project, or they can just ill-talk about it. Just expressing in public
all our flaws is bad.

If we do not respect those good contributors asking for mediation and
then asking for arbitration, if we refuse then this, not only do we risk
loosing good contributors, but we risk making ennemies.

In front of this, bureaucracy...pouah

And finally, I dare ask what we should do when featured articles are in
edit war for more than 3 months ?