[WikiEN-l] [[New Haven, Connecticut]]

John C. Penta pentaj2 at UofS.edu
Fri Mar 19 23:56:34 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
Date: Friday, March 19, 2004 3:20 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] [[New Haven, Connecticut]]

> Some people tend to view some of this local information as
> non-encyclopedic, but sometimes it is exactly what gives flavour
> to a
> place.  Even those of us who condemn the excesses of capitalism
> can
> recognize that certain commercial enterprises play an important
> social
> and cultural role in their respective communities.  If one were to
> extrapolate Rick's argument that the mention of the pizza
> restaurants
> constitutes advertising, then we should also delete the Disneyland
> article because it is effectively advertising for the theme park.
> Imagine the arguments if someone tried to delete that article.

I think the whole idea of 'encyclopedic'-ness is becoming a barrier to Wikipedia.

I have to agree with Erik; include these places. For those who know the Jersey Shore, imagine an article on the area _without_ including something on the Stone Pony. I live here...Not including the Stone Pony would leave a gaping hole. Not including the Hilltop Steakhouse in a similar article on Boston would be similar.

Yeah, you'd get all the facts, but you'd miss a lot of the character.