[WikiEN-l] Re: Edit war policy meaningless

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 15 05:41:26 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

> But Erik, you are trying to have edit wars solution be based uniquely
> on 2 or 3 wik-like people, while there are many other very regular and
> sometimes very respected contributors, who actually sometimes get into
> edit war and reversion war themselves in the heat of the moment.

Of course.  And these are now and will always be a minority.  The
interminable debates over ways to deal with these people are completely
out of proportion to their importance, and are far more harmful than
what this handful could ever be.  The Paris Commune was overrun because
the communards did not know when to stop debating among themselves.

I can support something like the three revert concept as a guideline,
but certainly not as a rule, and even less as an enforceable rule.  We
need to begin trusting users again.  That was a key factor in
Wikipedia's growth.   If Wik or some other identified person is a
persistent problem user then let's deal with it without inventing more
new rules to plague the average user.  The bad characters will more
likely than not be multiply offensive, and decisons can be based on
weighing a variety of factors rather than literal rules.

Once an understanding has been reached, someone with the authority needs
to accept the responsibilities for following through.

Ec