[WikiEN-l] Transition to WikiDemocracy

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 22:01:14 UTC 2004

Ed Poor wrote:
>The days when a single admin (like Maveric in his heyday)
>could be "on duty" for several hours at a time and single-
>handedly hold back the tide of vandalism -- well these
>days are forever gone, my friends.

This is true. I used to be able to scan/review an entire day's edits (all 800
of them!) in a couple hours and help mediate many of the daily disputes. Now I
have trouble keeping up with my watchlist and a few hours of the anon recent
changes.

>I did not plan to be the one to force the issue; I had hoped
>to avoid even the slightest hint of "unilateral action", but
>todays' crisis seemed to call for what we might call "citizen's
>arrest". Responding to repeated calls for help, I blocked a
>user and all his known puppet accounts. This action requires
>immediate review by the Arbitration Committee.

I have not be able to properly review the situation yet, but if what you say is
an accurate picture of what happened (and I have no reason to believe that you
would misrepresent this situation), then I fully endorse your actions as
necessary emergency measures. IMO, the Arbitration Committee should also
consider a review of the situation.

Creating sock puppet accounts in connection with trolling is not acceptable
behavior, IMO.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)