[WikiEN-l] DNA, Mav, 168

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 07:36:39 UTC 2004

Jimbo wrote:
>So I'd like to appeal to 168 and Mav to set a good example,
>to try to show people how this can be done, to show how
>love for knowledge, love for our big picture goals, and yes,
>love for each other, and be used  to resolve an issue.

It is completely wrong to characterize this as a me vs 168 issue.  Several
people on Talk:DNA have tried to work this out with 168 and Lir. This last bit
saw one revert from me, two from Bryan Derksen, three proposed compromise
versions submitted by me and 6 reverts by 168. After 168's last revert to his
favored version, he protected [[DNA]]. Erik later de-sysoped him for this. 168
then blanked his user and user talk pages.

An except from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/168
(you should read both summaries if you want an overview of the two versions of
events):

On March 5 DNA was unprotected by Kingturtle. [57] On the next day, Anthere
asked Kingturtle for the article protection to be restored at first sign of
necessity. 168's first edit to that article was a revert to his favored version
the next day. [58] Mav reverted the article back to the version most people who
voted on the February_5_Version liked. 168 reverted the article to his favored
version again. [59] Mav responded with a proposed compromise version that
combined the information contained in both versions. [60] 168 reverted that as
well.[61] Mav tried another compromise [62], but 168 reverted back to his
favored version again.[63] Bryan Derksen then reverted 168. Mav saved another
proposed compromise version [64], which 168 reverted (marking the revert as a
minor edit and not giving an edit summary). [65] Bryan Derksen reverted 168's
revert. 168 auto-reverted Bryan [66] and protected the page. [67]

Note that that was a total of 6 reverts by 168 in a 24 hour period and that a
poll that would make a 3-revert per day limit policy has 45 votes to 6 [68]
Jimbo has not decided yet whether to allow admins the ability to block users
for 24 hours for breaking this rule.

--mav