[WikiEN-l] Blocked user: Jesus Chirst

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 5 18:56:05 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>I blocked a user whose handle is "Jesus Chirst".

I presume that "Chirst" is a creative misspelling on the part of the
user rather than a typo by Ed. :-)

>It should be self-evident that this is an unacceptable user name.

Although I am personally not bothered by this kind of name choice, I do
view the credibility of such users as suspect.  I also recognize that
many other members find it offensive.

>I feel very strongly about this, and I feel my action though unilateral
>is justified. Our username policy is clear.
>
>If his aim is to contribute to the encyclopedia, he can pick a less
>provocative user name. If he has some other name, then he has no right
>to register at all.
>
>I expect Mav and Jimbo to back me up on this, or my vacation will be
>permanent.

As much as I may understand your views on this issue, I find your threat
at the end to be an overreaction.  These incidents are not new to
Wikipedia, and they tend to work their way through the system without
the need for threats from senior users.  The threat is unbecoming of a
right-wingerr whom even unapologetic leftists have come to respect.

Ec