[WikiEN-l] Columbia Encyclopedia titles

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 2 20:58:06 UTC 2004

Stan Shebs wrote:

> The comma-separated names like "Agualho, Cape", have one valuable
> property; they sort correctly in a list of all articles. This will be
> a key step in producing a print version, and it's not always possible
> to algorithmically determine the right sort key. (Meta-info could do
> this too, but it's not been implemented.)

The rule: "Wikipedia is not paper" has been very helpful for us as an
electronic encyclopedia.  For the paper product we may need to look at
alternate ways to present material that are more like the almanacs that
are produced each year than encyclopedias.  Our year pages alone could
fill 500 printed pages, and cannot be alphabetized.

Ec