[WikiEN-l] Re: No more outing. No more threats. This is not a joke.

phil hunt zen19725 at zen.co.uk
Sat Jun 26 11:09:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:24:44 -0700 (PDT), Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>User ZW must be banned immediately.

The way you talk, anyone would think that you are under the
impression you own Wikipedia. You don't; get over it.

>I do not want to have
>to threaten legal action, but ZW has no right to post
>personal information about any Wikipedia users, whether it
>is correct or incorrect, especially in the context of a
>flame war.
>
>In the recent past I already have received a death threat
>from EntmootsOfTrolls (verified by other members of the
>Wiki-En discussion list); I also received what some
>interpreted as a threat from John Goode, aka Mr. Natural
>Health, who explicitly stated that he knew I was Jewish,
>lived in NY, and that he was a Nazi who also lived in NY.
>The threat was clear.

Unless you are accusing User:ZW of being a sockpuppet for these
people, their behsaviour isn't ZW's responsiblity.

>I am not willing to allow more such threats to be made.
>Wikipedia must not allow death threats, nor must it ever
>allow private personal information to be put online.

Does Wikipedia have the power to forbid this. For example, if
someone put your real name on their website, together with your
Wikipedia user name, then anyone could use Google to link the two,
and I doubt if you or Wikipedia could do anything about it.

>Wikipedia Sysops must purge this article's records so that
>such personal information is permanently removed. ZW must
>be banned immediately.

Why? All he's done (AFAICT) is call you by your name.

>I take my personal safety, and the safety of my family,
>very seriously. I do not want to have to initiate legal
>action against anyone here in order to protect myself.

You know perfectly well that if Wikipedia was attacked by lawsuits
it would be to the detriment of the Wikipedia project. (For this
reason I favour making editing Wikipedia conditional on an
I-won't-sue guarantee). Because you threaten to do something that
you know would harm Wikipedia, unless you get your own way, I regard
you as being someone who doesn't have Wikipedia's interests at
heart.

I think a good case could be made for banning you from Wikipedia,
Robert.

> But
>it is now a common pattern for those people who hate me to
>try and expose me, and then threaten me. If Wikipedia
>doesn't take action to stop such outing and threats, then
>Wikipedia effectively becomes to party to them, as it
>enables them to occur without disability.

Death threats are unacceptable and it's reasonable for Wikipedia to
remove them. Anonymity is another thing entirely; if someone
uses Wikipedia to accuse others of being racist[1] I don't see
that that person has a right to remain anonymous.

[1] from [[Talk:Zionism]] """You have a wordy way of saying "I
hate the Jews". Why not
just say it outright? Its not like we don't understand what you are
really saying. RK 22:34, Jun 13, 2004 (UTC)"""
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Talk%3AZionism&diff=4076025&oldid=4075908

>You don't want Wikipedia to work on
>the level of threats, do you? I merely feel the same way as
>most of you.

Then don't threaten legal action against Wikipedia, hypocrite.

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)