[WikiEN-l] The incident in which a new user was blocked

James Rosenzweig jwrosenzweig at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 00:06:07 UTC 2004

Sorry, I get emails in digest form...I'm sure I'm
"breaking a thread" -- my apologies.

I'd suggest that a couple of things happen.  It's my
impression that James deserves an apology, not because
he was treated shamefully, but because we ought to be
a little more welcoming than we were.  Sometimes, as
an admin, I have acted too hastily and made a decision
that upset someone.  Even where I feel I was
justified, I have done my best to always offer an
apology and an explanation for my actions.  I have
never regretted doing this, and have made some
excellent Wiki-friends as a result.  I hope Texture
and Oberiko will consider doing so.

I think the community as a whole needs to remember a
forgotten page --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Please_do_not_bite_the_newcomers
When I first came here, we quoted it often.  I haven't
seen it mentioned in a long time, and I don't believe
it has been mentioned in this case, where it is so
obviously warranted.  If it has been, sorry for
showing late to the party.  I think we all, myself
included, could do with a refresher in bite-free
welcomes.  Let's make a concerted effort to assume
good faith, and open our arms to new contributors.  We
are big, yes, and we have plenty of good editors, but
they are not in such grand supply that we have the
luxury of turning them aside.  I have no idea if James
will become one, but I hope very much he will, and
that we can encourage others who arrive here, that
they too may become positive additions here.

That's my two cents,

James R. (Jwrosenzweig, as though that wasn't apparent)