[WikiEN-l] Long pages

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jun 23 22:41:32 UTC 2004

Magnus Manske wrote:

> I just had a look at the "longest pages" list. It was spearheaded by
> an untranslated article of incredible 243880 bytes. While I blanked
> that one and listed it on VfD, I keep wondering if some of these pages
> shouldn't go someplace else. [[Table of divisors]] and similar would
> IMHO fit better on wikisource. [[List of candidates in the 2004
> Canadian election
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_candidates_in_the_2004_Canadian_election>]]
> would fit nicely into the "election data" section, no? The many "List
> of asteroids" entries could go there as well. Other lists ([[List of
> astronomical topics
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_astronomical_topics>]], as an
> example) can be restructured into the category system, while leaving
> unwritten topics.
>
> To sum this up, I think we could get rid of at least 100 of the 150
> longest pages, without sacrificing any functionality. Shall we try
> this or not?

If it were transferred to Wikisource now at 243880 bytes it would be in
43rd place for length.  Our longest at 1,531,803 bytes is the ever
useful [[Pi to 1,000,000 places]].

Wikisource has accepted the mathematical table type of article, but some
of the length in the Wikipedia article is at least in part due to the
numbers being piped links to articles on the individual numbers,
Someone who moves this should fix the broken links.

Election results are also a part of Wikisource.  The election in
question, however, is scheduled for next Monday.  I would suggest
waiting until the results can be added before making the move.

I see no place on Wikisource for the Asteroids.  I think Wikipedia is
much better for this sort of list.

I do not like the idea of such long articles on Wikisource, but I often
feel that I am fighting a losing battle.  In many of these cases the
material IS properly suited to Wikisource.  Unfortunately it is often
little more than a cut-and-paste exercise that a little editing would
have easily cut down into bite-size pieces.  For someone less familiar
with the topic the clean-up can be a lot of work.

Ec