[WikiEN-l] [wik1234 at fastmail.fm: Quagga's vandalism]

Lee Pilich lee at audiblerecords.com
Tue Jun 15 23:36:36 UTC 2004

Wik wrote (in a post forwarded by Jimbo):
 >I made the mistake of trusting your word; you gave a supposedly final
 >warning to Quagga, but didn't follow up on it. Therefore I'll now give
 >you the final warning: if Quagga isn't banned within 24 hours, I'll
 >start a script which does everything automatically including changing
 >proxies as needed, so don't hope that I will tire of it; nor is there
 >anything else you can do against it. It will run until Quagga is banned.
 >Too bad you don't understand any other language.

So you all know, there is vandalism going on right now which has the
following characteristics:

*the entire content of a page is replaced with the content: "==Stop
vandalism, or suffer it yourself.=="
*said edits are made to prominent community pages including the village
pump, VfD and Goings-on, and to the talk and user pages of several
prominent users (Jimbo, Heph, RickK) as well as Quagga
*the edits are being made a more-or-less regular intervals, not all in a
splurge - I'd guess they're in the region of about one per minute
*each edit is made by under a different username
*blocking the usernames is having no effect (I suppose because a different
IP is being used for each edit)

Clearly, this could be related to the Wik-script mentioned here.

The vandalism itself is quite easy to spot and rollback, but if it really
is a script and this goes on for hours or days, it's going to get supremely
irritating.

I don't have an opinion on what we should do. This is just for information.

Lee (Camembert)