[WikiEN-l] Fixed term sysops.

Mark Pellegrini mapellegrini at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 21:08:41 UTC 2004

Having fixed terms is an excellent idea. One or two
year appointments would be ample, and would not be
overly burdensom. A sysop whose term had expired could
stand for re-election after (say) 6 months.
Mark

No offense, but I think this is an extremely bad idea. With
maybe one or two exceptions, our sysops are trustworthy,
reliable, and obedient to the rules. Having elections, on the
other hand, would be like ringing the dinner bell for everyone
troll or vandal with an axe to grind against a particular sysop
(or sysops). In addition, the administrative overhead would be
fearsome. I'd also like to point out that by your 1 sysop/1000
article standard, we're about 40 sysops below strength.

Now, in the past, I have complained that a lot of people are
getting nominated for adminship without being here long enough.
I think this criticism is valid. I don't recognize most of the names
coming up on the RFA these days, and that worries me. I think
people need to be a bit more critical of new requests, but I don't
think that means that we should be trying to cull down the number
of sysops - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

--Mark