[WikiEN-l] Re: every disputed article to end up with multiple versions....

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 03:44:52 UTC 2004

--- "Daniel P.B.Smith" <dpbsmith at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2004, at 7:45 PM, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:
>
> >> Isn't that just going to wedge the door open for every disputed
> >> article to
> >> end up with multiple versions?
>
> Well, what would be so terrible about that?

It is a violation of our NPOV policy and also forks the content. Articles
should be split when they get large enough to divide a topic into subtopics or
spin off a subtopic when it starts to take up too much space (leaving a summary
in its place). Duplication of content should be minimized outside of summaries
and should *never* be done just to give different partisan editors a chance to
have their "own" article written from "their" POV.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)